The Regulations Governing Fee Rates for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Documents Evaluation (環境影響評估書件審查收費辦法) have gone through eight amendments since its announcement. The latest amendment clearly defines extra-large-scale development activities in special zones, and large development activities like building special zones, roads, airports, environmental engineering projects, power transmission lines, etc. The EPA, after having referenced evaluation experiences in recent years, adjusted certain fee rates.
The EPA pointed out that it has looked through how fees have been collected in recent years concerning the evaluation of EIA documents. The fee rates are thereby adjusted to achieve better operation in actual practices:
I. Revision of Article 6: Should the EIA documents submitted by developers who fit one of the following two conditions, the amount of fees based on the attached table in Article 2 is to be halved:
1. Developers are to find alternative options in the original site and submit documents again for reevaluation after the competent authority deems it not to be developed after the first evaluation.
2. Developers required by the Environmental Impact Assessment Enforcement Rules (環評法施行細則) to enter the second EIA stage only submit the environmental impact statements for the first EIA stage.
II. Revision of the attached table in Article 2:
1. Extra-large-scale development activities
(1) Development activities in specialized parks
i. For petrochemical industrial zones, an activity that applies to develop or accumulates developed areas of 500 hectares or more.
ii. For other specialized parks, an activity that applies to develop or accumulates developed areas of 1,000 hectares or more.
(2) Constructions of nuclear power plants, projects that install new facilities, or decommission of nuclear reactors.
(3) Constructions of facilities that store or process radioactive wastes.
2. Large-scale development activities…
(2) Development activities in specialized parks
i. For petrochemical industrial zones, activity that applies to develop or accumulates developed areas of 100 to less than 500 hectares.
ii. For other specialized parks, activity that applies to develop or accumulates developed areas of 100 to less than 1,000 hectares.
(3) Development activities on roads
i. Constructions of highways or express ways.
ii. Extensions of highways or expressways, or constructions of access roads and interchanges, with a length of at least 30 kilometers.
(7) Development of airports
i. Constructions of airports.
ii. Constructions of airport runways.
iii. Extensions of airport runways by over 500 meters.
iv. Relocation of the centerline of an airport runway.
(10) Construction of environmental engineering
i. Regarding landfills or incinerators for general wastes or general industrial wastes, construction of new sites, expansions of existing sites, or projects that expand treatment capacities.
ii. Regarding intermediate handling or terminal treatment facilities for harmful industrial wastes, construction, expansions, or projects that expand treatment facilities.
Excerpt from Major Environmental Policies, March 2022
- Ministry of Environment